Saturday, July 09, 2011

Wrong Timing

I flew to India for a business trip. I don't know what to expect aside from what I've read in the airline magazine during my flight. I arrived past midnight and feeling dead tired already. My hotel cab was there already to pick me up. Rode the cab and traveled for almost an hour before reaching my hotel -- it was a long journey indeed. Once I got my room keys I went straight to my room and jumped to my bed. I fell asleep right away. I woke up at around 10 AM. Looking at my wrist watch I said, "my god I'm late". I got up fast, took a shower, dressed up and hurried downstairs.  The receptionist greeted me good morning and I smiled back. As I was about to approach her, I saw a big clock behind her showing 7:45AM. I asked her, "miss, is that clock working?". She smiled back and answered yes sir, that's the correct time here. I laughed and said, I thought I was late for my appointment. Maybe my watch is not working. She then said that I must set my watch to India's local time (which is GMT+5.5). I felt a little embarrassed. Still smiling, she offered me if I want some breakfast then pointed me to the hotel's breakfast buffet lounge. I am really hungry actually, said to her, then gestured O.K. I went to the lounge and got a really nice table overlooking poolside with hillside backdrop. I sat down, calmed myself and just enjoyed the view for a moment. I got myself some coffee, a couple pancakes topped with syrup and whipped cream -- just a perfect way to start my day.

Lesson learned: Always check your destination's Time Zone before going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment