Sunday, July 10, 2011

Everything is Arranged

Just another day before going to work here in India. Done with breakfast and back at my hotel room trying to kill some time before going to the office. I have my daily supply of local newspaper -- good thing it is written in English. Browsing through the pages, I stumbled upon classified ads section not really looking for anything. Then this page caught my attention.

Looking for a groom, WTH! I thought this country has the second largest population next to China. Where are the men? asking myself. What happened to them? Homosexuality is beyond control? What's wrong? I was really stunned... I checked with Google and found out that this is normal here. It's tradition. I can't comprehend the atrocities and complexity of this unique tradition. Would there be intimacy and genuine love and affection? Is it like forcing the issue because you are compelled to do so? Well maybe I'm just "westernized" so to speak. Courtship, flowers, chocolates, romantic dinner, love letters and poems are the norms where I came from. You have to woo the girl (and even her family) to win her heart. Then you can talk about engagement and everything, followed shortly by marriage and... (you know). It's a looooong process but that's tradition.  I'm not trying to be a smart ass or perhaps a love guru. I'm just a guy expressing my thoughts (my humble opinion). It's like me looking from the outside in. I don't know much about India's tradition but I have nothing against it. I'm not traditional either. I believe love conquers all! I quote, all's fair in love and war. If arranged marriage works for you then why not, coconut. If you are an Indian guy I guess you better look for a high-paying job (~10 Lakhs per year at least) as it is the usual requirement. Oh by the way, when you say Lakhs, it means 100,000 here.

FYR:

No comments:

Post a Comment